As an example, we will be using a real local lawn care company who we helped design, develop, and optimize their website.
1) Add title, description, and keywords tag in
<head> HTML Section
First, make sure to do a quick keyword research to learn more about local search trends and statics in your area. We are going to be using these keywords for our page title, description, content, and image alt tags.
Next, we are going to be adding the title, description, and keywords tag in the head section of our webpage. The title tag should be 50 – 60 characters long, and description tag 50-250 characters long. According to Google, they no longer use the keyword meta tag for ranking purposes. We still add it.
<!-- Title Tag --> <title>Joliet Lawn Care Service | Lawn Maintenance In Joliet, IL</title> <!-- Meta description tag --> <meta name="description" content="description" content="Lawn Care and Landscaping Services for Joliet and surrounding towns. Mowing, Aeration, Dethatching, Mulch, Fertilizer."> <!-- Meta keywords tag --> <meta name="keywords" content="Joliet Lawn Care, Joliet Lawn Service, Joliet Lawn Mowing, Joliet Core Aeration, Joliet Lawn Dethatching, Power Raking Service, Joliet Fertilizer Companies, Joliet Grass Cutting Service">
2) Optimize content
- Use the
<h1>tag for the page content tile. Use,
<h4>, and other heading tags for subtitles within your content,
<p>tags for paragraphs, and make sure to use
<em>for strong statements and emphasize information respectively.
- Add the researched keywords within your content, add valuable content and avoid keyword stuffing. The more relevant content you add, the better.
- Add relevant images. Make sure to optimize the images.
- Add links to other pages in your website, other local websites if they are relevant to your content, and links to your social profiles.
- Create your Google business listing, Bing business listing, and Yahoo small business listing to create some backlinks to your website.
- If you want to display reviews on search results, make sure to check our How To display Reviews On Search Results blog post.
3) Add Structured Data
Google and other search engines use structured data to understand the content of a web page, as well as to gather information about the web and the world in general. As a local business, your website should be optimized for search results locally, and the best way to let search engines know this is through structured data.
What is JSON-LD
JSON-LD is structured data in your web page that doesn’t affect or change the current content or HTML structure. JSON-LD allows search engine crawlers to understand information in a particular web page. Since 2015, Google announced that it would start recognizing JSON-LD as a structured data type.
We have added the structured data example below using JSON-LD for our agency which serves Chicago, IL. This code snippet is normally added right before the
</body> tag. Replace the data with the information for your local business. You can get your business address coordinates from google maps as follow:
- On your computer, open Google Maps.
- Right-click the place or area on the map.
- Select What’s here?
- At the bottom, you’ll see a card with the coordinates.
Implement the suggestions in this blog post, and you will be able to increase traffic in no time. It has worked for us and will work for you, as well.